Sunday, May 2, 2010

Macaroni and Cheese

Okie doke, for one of my daughters-in-love, here is my recipe for Macaroni and Cheese. You all enjoy! I'm cross-posting at Facebook, and putting it here so it will be easy to find in the future. That is why I originally started this blog - to make it easy to find the recipes the kids asked for.


For this batch, I used a 12 oz bag of elbow macaroni, and an 8 oz bag of grated cheddar cheese. I used to always grate my own cheese, but now it is usually the same price per pound (especially if you get the store brand) for grated as it is for block cheese. We always used cheddar or a variety (like colby, longhorn, or red-rind). You can use whatever cheese you have or like best.

Nandy loved to make his with sharp cheddar when he could get it - he called it "rat trap cheese". Boys, if you remember, he made his mac and cheese by putting one layer of cooked macaroni in a backing dish, covering it with cheese, and baking it for about half an hour. That was how we ate it when we were kids - Macaroni and Cheese was one of the meals Nandy cooked. That, and his vegetable soup, and Weenies and Saurkraut. Pretty much that was it, since either Mema or Big Grandmother did most of the cooking.

Now, where was I.. oh yeah....

Cook macaroni in salted water until done, and drain.

Put about 1/3 of the cooked macaroni in a baking dish, sprinkle lightly with salt & a grind of pepper, and dot with butter.

Dot with small spoons of either sour cream or cream cheese. I use whichever I have on hand. You could even use both, whatever you like. I started using these to make the cheddar go farther, in the days when all three boys were home and I made huge pans full of this.


Sprinkle generously with shredded cheese.

Add half the remaining macaroni to the dish, on top of that, and repeat the whole process: lightly salt, pepper, dot with butter and sour cream, sprinkle with cheese.



Top with the last of the macaroni, and do it all again. After adding the sour cream, pour a small amount, maybe 1/4 cup of milk or cream around the sides.




Finish off with a nice topping of shredded cheese.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.




Serve immediately.

Say Grace, and enjoy! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails