Friday, August 20, 2010

Boys of Summer, Men of Valor

On this day, August 20, 2006, an IED attack hit the 3rd LAR, 2nd Platoon, company D, while they were on patrol. Three brave men died and three brave men were seriously injured, all for the cause of liberty for the Iraqi people and preservation of liberty for the United States of America.


The great men who gave their lives for us that day are:

Navy seaman Chadwick T. Kenyon, 20, of Tucson, Arizona

Marine Cpl. Adam Galvez, 21, Salt Lake City, Utah

Marine Lance Cpl. Randy L. Newman, 21, of Bend, Oregon

Links to their individual stories and pages can be found here. The men who were wounded in this action are remembered for their sacrifice and courage, and we pray God blesses them continuously. Their names and stories are their own to share as they wish, but I hope these men know how grateful we are to them.

Appearing in the photo, left to right, are: Adam Galvez, Albert Garcia, Chris Williams (holding sign "Haditha Iraq Summer '06"), unidentified, Chad Kenyon (in shades at back), Fredric Dean, and Tony Butterfield. Gary Cassen in front.

Of these, Galvez, Kenyon, Williams and Butterfield were KIA before the summer was over, as were Lance Cpl Randy Lee Newman, Cpl Phillip Baucus and PFC Jason Hanson.

We remember them all with grateful hearts. This is our newest Greatest Generation, and we may never know how much we owe them.

...Yet there's no sickness, toil nor danger
In that bright land, to which I go.

I'm going there to see my Father
I'm going there no more to roam;
I'm only go-ing over Jordan
I'm only go-ing over home.

I know dark clouds will gather round me
I know my way is rough and steep;
But golden fields lie out before me
Where God's redeemed, their vigils keep

I'm going there to see my Father
I'm going there no more to roam;
I'm only going over Jordan
I'm only going over home.


Song lyrics: "Wayfaring Stranger" traditional folk hymn


08/20/10 Update: The blog Posse Incitatus has an excellent post that is fitting for today: "The flame is still lit" as a tribute our heroes, and the completion of their work in Iraq.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails